Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sour Apple Green


Early transparnet apples have always been a favorite of mine. They're sharp and tangy and full of flavor. It could also be that in a family of five kids, it was good to like something the rest of the kids didn't.
Anyway, I caught the flavor of the Okanagan Summer in this bead, or at least I think I did. It's been made into a necklace with accent beads that got in Ottawa. They're Czech, or maybe Chinese but they're certainly mass produced. You can see the mold lines clearly in the picture. The video I have on the process seems to be missing (Duh-oh) but this one at least shows the press process.
If I find the other video I'll post it. It really is quite interesting and it shows why mass produced beads are so cheap. People wonder why handmade lampwork beads are so much more expensive. Well, they're made one at a time and can take up to an hour to make!
This bead didn't take quite that long, but it was likely close to it. The light green and white had to be twisted together when they were molten and allowed to cool before they could be remelted onto the bead. Time flies by when I'm at the torch so I don't always know how long each bead takes. I've bought a small clock to set beside the torch to see if I can't solve that. Might be a good way to stop being surprised when Russ appears at the shop door and suggests it might be time to quit. He rarely goes to bed before 11!
Be well all,
Marni

No comments: